- Ancestor Search is a well laid out site which gives advice on undertaking research and sources of information.
- GEN UKI has a wealth of information for all aspects of family history research in the UK and Ireland. This link takes you to the Wiltshire section.
- Family History Federation gives you a national view on news, events, courses and much more.
- Cyndi's List provides thousands of links to genalogical resources worldwide. This link takes you to the Wiltshire page in her site, with almost 300 links.
- Wiltshire Council Museums, History and Heritage acts as a gateway to the sites of various heritage establishments throughout Wiltshire as well as to the rest of the Wiltshire Council site.
- The Wiltshire Regiment collection and archives are housed at the Rifles (Salisbury) Museum. The museum's website has a regimental timeline, transcripts of WW1 battalion war diaries and indexes to soldiers' service documents at TNA
- The Salisbury Musuem is the museum to contact for the area if you are seeking to enrich your research with local information.
- The Wiltshire Musuem has placed its library on line through GoogleBooks. Over 6000 items from its collection can be viewed online.
- Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre is the official repository for the history of Wiltshire and Swindon. It has an online guide for beginners in family history and next steps.
- STEAM is the museum of the Great Western Railway, a major employer in 19th Century Wiltshire. The link is to the Library and Archive section of the website.
- Wiltshire Community History is a another section of the Wiltshire Council web site which contains information on 261 Wiltshire communities covering the whole of the Wiltshire Council administered area of the county, i.e. not Swindon
- Wiltshire Local History Forum promotes interest in all aspects of Wiltshire local history and acts as a portal through which groups can promote their activities to a wider audience. The Forum's web site provides contact details for many of its members, which includes groups and societies, museums, libraries and individuals.
Other Genealogical Societies
- Nimrod Research includes the Nimrod Marriage Index amongst its resources and offers a 10% discount to Wiltshire FHS members. Their Wiltshire parishes marriage transcripts have been published in a joint venture with Wiltshire FHS.
- Moonrakers Wiltshire Genealogy and Wiltshire History is a long established and wide ranging site.
- GenFair If you have missed the link elsewhere in our site, this link takes you to the section of the Genfair site which lists Wiltshire FHS products.
- Wiltshire Online Parish Clerks An OPC (on-line parish clerk) is a volunteer member of the public who "adopts" a parish in Wiltshire and then researches and transcribes historical and genealogical information for that parish that might be of value to family history researchers and social historians. About half the Wiltshire parishes have OPCs, and their parish pages can be reached via the Wiltshire OPC web site.
- Wiltshire BMD Independent volunteers are collaborating with the local Registration Service to make the indexes to records of local births, marriages and deaths back to the start of civil registration in 1837 freely searchable online, with around 300,000 records already available.
- Duncan and Mandy Ball Wiltshire residents who have photographed and documented many memorials in Wiltshire churches and made the results freely available in their site.
- Standbrook Guides to Devizes and Calne This Resident's Handbook provides an online index to multiple resources and events across the county.